Renting a car abroad provides freedom and flexibility for vacation or business trips. However, there are some points that you should pay attention to and know when renting a car. Here are the things to know and tips when renting a car abroad:
1- Car Rental Company Selection
- Do your research: Compare different car rental companies and find the best prices and conditions. Check online booking sites and companies' own websites.
- Local companies: Consider considering local car rental companies as well as large international companies. However, be wary of their reliability and customer service.
- Customer comments: You can get an idea about service quality and reliability by reading the comments about the company.
2- Rental Process and Contract
- Early booking: Early booking is important in order not to have trouble finding a car in high season and to be able to rent at more affordable prices.
- Read the rental agreement: Check the agreement carefully to learn about the insurance coverage, rental period, mileage limitation and other conditions of the vehicle you rented.
- Extra services: Check the costs of extra services such as navigation, baby seat and additional driver in advance and evaluate them according to your needs.
3- When Receiving Vehicle
- Vehicle inspection: Determine scratches, dents and other damages by making a detailed inspection inside and outside the vehicle while receiving the vehicle. Specify this information in the contract and share it with the company official.
- Fuel policy: Learn the fuel policy of the rental company and check the fuel level when receiving the vehicle.
- Local traffic rules: Learn the traffic rules of the country you are renting and act accordingly. Pay attention to things like speed limits, parking rules, and tolls.
4- Vehicle Return Process
- Pay attention to the return period: Be careful not to delay the vehicle return period. Otherwise, you may face additional charges.
- Vehicle cleaning: Depending on the rental conditions, you may need to return the vehicle in a clean condition. In this case, clean and return the vehicle.
- In case of accident and damage: If you experience an accident or damage, first stop the vehicle safely and notify the local authorities. Then contact the car rental company and report the situation and follow the necessary procedures.
- International Driving License: Some countries require the use of an international driving license. Therefore, find out the requirements of the country you are traveling to and prepare the necessary documents and keep them with you. An international driver's license does not replace your country's driver's license, you must carry both documents with you.
- Parking and Traffic Fines: Be careful not to be penalized by not paying attention to parking and traffic rules. If you are penalized, avoid additional charges by making the payment on time. Remember, penalties are usually reported to the car rental company, which may be reflected on your credit card.
- Cross-border Travel: If you intend to take your rented car to another country, check the car rental company's policy and obtain the necessary permits. Otherwise, the insurance may expire and you may experience problems with the vehicle.
While renting a car abroad, you can have a safe and enjoyable travel experience thanks to these tips and things to know. Good planning and careful action will minimize potential problems. Happy travels!